Back to Search Results

Vauxhall Academy of Baseball

Impacts Southern Alberta

RADF Investment: $1,501,124

Other Investment: $500,376

Total Investment: $2,001,500

Project Period: June 2008–April 2011

Community Development Community Development
Education Education
Sports, Recreation or Culture Sports, Recreation or Culture

T: 403.645.4606

E: Todd.ojala@horizon.ab.ca

Project Description

The Vauxhall Baseball Academy is a permanent, self-funding sports academy at Vauxhall High School. To reach self-sufficiency, the Academy tripled its enrollment to 60 student-athletes and developed a fitness and treatment program that is available to the public. This program is housed in Vauxhall's Community Wellness Centre and includes physiotherapy and other health care services previously unavailable to area residents.

Expected Outcomes and Benefits

All projects go through a selection process to ensure they will improve the quality of life for Albertans. This project meets this objective through the following outcomes and benefits:

  • 80% of program graduates have earned post-secondary scholarships at American schools and the remaining 20% received scholarships to Canadian schools
  • 86% of students in the program make the school’s honour roll each year
  • Increase and stabilize Vauxhall High School enrolment
  • Ensure Vauxhall Baseball Academy program is self-sustaining and stable
  • Increase employment and economic activity in Vauxhall and the surrounding area
  • The program has been successful in attracting 21-35 new students each year, which equals 1-1.5 FTE teaching staff.
  • In 2009, the Government of Alberta announced $18M renovation to the Vauxhall High School, which was completed in the fall of 2012.